Friday, March 24, 2006

Beer with Amit @ Marriott



Yesterday night was a good one, long-time friend Amit Selot had come over to Mumbai and called me up for a beer, along with his younger brother Sumeet. After leaving Thailand I had been thirsting for a Draught Beer, but even inside Marriott Draught of choice was hard to come by. I think It will be years before beer-guzzling came actually come up as a normal time-pass. Beer is still "Alcohol " in Indian society, after all. Probably the only state in India with Liberal attitude towards Alcohol consumption is GOA, where Beer is available in grocery stores also. I wish that be emulated all over India ... aaahahahahahahaha pipe-dreams.

The best beers anyway are always availabe in Europe,.. just remembering the days there when I was with Amit and friends, at the Heineken Factory, the beer that came along with the tour was just Heavenly, never had anything close to it anywhere. Asia will take a long time to catch up or will probably never even come close. Just look at the pic, Amit going bonkers there., and probably his wife not finding that very funny, or was she already drunk ???? hahahaha, I can say that because after coming out of the tour, she was singing on the streets of Amsterdam like a chirpy bird. :). We all had a nice time after that though. And talking of Beer, In bruges, a small town in Belgium I wanted to visit a bar which sold 300 different varieties of beer, but unfortunately it was closed on the days that I was there. Also worth mentionable was the Singha beer of Thailand, a good brew I would say.

A brief introducion about Amit: He happens to be among my best friends today, but actually he is married to my childhood friend Sucharita (gulu). Initially after marriage I used to introduce the couple as "This is Gulu my friend and this is her husband, Amit" but after some beer sessions the introduction went this way "This is Amit my friend, and this is gulu his wife" and if I was in a chatty mood I would add "she also happens to be my childhood friend", or otherwise it was conveniently ignored ... Hahahahahaha.

Anyway back to mumbai we had Foster's the beer from down-under, Australia... and it was good. The Philipino singer who came and introduced herself to us, was also charming. she looked somewhat like mary, the girl in AIT, famous for her skimpy clothes... hahahaa, sometimes she looked hot ... though ;). The Ambience at the hotel was good lots of foreigners too. Sumeet had whisky, I was surprised at the kid being bold enough to take whisky in front of his elder bro.. times change , :P . After 3 hours and many beers we headed to a famous Pav-Bhaji stall in Andheri, the chikoo shake was good too.

Time to part, Anit had to take an early morning flight to Bangalore, wish I could spend more time with him like we used to do in Delhi.. whole night drinking talking singing, dancing etc etc. Came back to room had a nice sleep, Right now Amit must be in Bangalore,

Waiting for better times mate

yours lovingly

Amit

No comments yet